Welcome to the Mixdown Online Resources section, a curated list of the tools and websites I strongly recommend for building and optimizing your home studio and your production/mixing skills.
I have tested every recommendation on this page. Many of the resources listed here are crucial to running my business (or were crucial to developing Mixdown Productions to where it is today).
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Note that I only recommend products that I use or used myself, because they are helpful and useful, so I know you’ll be in good hands. Plus, when you order through my link, it helps me to continue to offer you lots of free tutorials. Thank you, in advance for your support!” Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
- entry level gear
- mY TOOLBOX
- recommented books
NEW TO MUSIC PRODUCTION?
Here are my recommended products if you’re new to music production. You don’t need a lot to start recording and mixing your music. Here are some options to fit your needs and budget. With these options, I assume you already own a decent computer.
- UR22mkII USB 2.0 Audio Interface with Dual Microphone Preamps
- ST-H01 Studio Monitor Headphones
- ST-M01 Studio Condenser Microphone
- Includes Cubase AI, Cubasis LE, and WeveLab LE
- Everything you need to get started recording immediately!
Steinberg UR22 MKII RP Recording Pack with Interface, Headphones, and Microphone
Presonus Abox Studio USB 2x2 Recording System
- Bus powered USB audio and MIDI interface
- Compatible with almost all recording software for Mac and Windows
- 24 bit resolution 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling rate
- 2 combo mic instrument inputs with high performance low noise high headroom mic preamplifiers
- Zero latency analog monitoring
Steinberg Cubase Pro 9 Recording Software
I've been working with Cubase since 2003. I use Cubase for basically everything. From music arrangements, recording to mixing and mastering, Cubase is one of the best and most important tool in my Toolbox.
- Award-winning 32-bit floating-point Steinberg audio engine with up to 192 kHz, 5.1 surround, flexible routing and full automatic delay compensation
- Unlimited audio, instrument and MIDI tracks and up to 256 physical inputs and outputs
- MixConsole for pro mixing desk experience and integrated high-end channel strip, VCA faders, Loudness Meter, Wave Meters
- Complete suite of over 90 high-end audio and MIDI VST effect processors
- VariAudio for MIDI-style note editing of monophonic audio tracks, automatic voicing harmonization and auto-tuning effects
Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitor, Black
The Yamaha HS8 active studio monitor will help you make better-sounding recordings. Yamaha's nearfield monitors with their iconic white-coned woofers have been ubiquitous in top studios worldwide ever since the original NS-10s hit the scene in the late '70s.
Yamaha (never content to rest on its laurels) has continuously developed and perfected the design, resulting in HS series monitors with newly designed bi-amplified drivers and scientifically ported enclosures that deliver amazing accuracy and vanishingly low coloration.
Don't mix in the dark. Nail what you're after, without the guesswork, with Yamaha's HS8.
If you use WordPress as I recommend or if you plan on having a website for your music or home studio, you will need a hosting service. I recommend BlueHost. They are currently offering a special at $3.95 a month. Bluehost is the service as use for my website hosting.
Need a website? You're familiar with WordPress? ThemeForest is the place to go when shopping for a WordPress themes. They have a bunch of top quality responsive WordPress templates to choose from.
Recording & Mixing books
The Recording Engineer’s Handbook
The Mixing Engineer's Handbook
Zen and the
Art of Mixing
Recording Secrets for the Small Studio
The Art of Mixing: A Visual Guide to Recording, Engineering, and Production